Let’s be honest, wearing a face mask has become widely normalized when it comes to attending social gatherings. In fact, long before the worldwide spread of COVID-19 in 2020, health experts had already recommended that immune compromised individuals wear masks when going out in public. Although, whether you’re wearing an N95 mask, 3-Ply mask, KN95 mask, or even a cloth mask, all these masks will remain largely ineffective if you’re incorrectly wearing the mask. While it may seem simple, it’s clear that many individuals aren’t aware of several common mistakes when putting on or removing their face mask. With this in mind, it’s time to break down the process on how to properly handle your face mask.
How to Put on Your Face Mask
Depending on your type of mask, there’s a few different approaches to ensure that you’re retaining the protective benefits of your mask. When putting on all face masks, however, it’s important to wash your hands thoroughly before touching your mask. Inspect your mask to make sure that there are no tears or holes that may hinder its safety benefits. Here are a few face mask types and how to put on these masks:
- Mask w/ Ear Loops: Hold the mask by each ear loop, individually place a loop around each ear.
- Mask w/ Bands: Hold the mask by its nose-piece, allowing the headbands to hang freely. Bring mask to nose and rest the top strap on the crown of your head, then pull the strap down over your head so that it rests at the top of your neck.
- Mask w/ Ties: Bring mask to your nose, placing the ties on the crown of your head, then secure with bow.
After placing your mask on your face, make sure that it’s securely covering your nose and mouth. Give a secure tug on the bottom of your mask to make sure hat it’s firmly over your chin. After putting your mask on, make sure to wash your hands again thoroughly.
Tips to Safely Wear a Face Mask
When wearing your mask, there’s several ways to ensure that you’re retaining all of its protective benefits, such as:
- Don’t touch your mask or other people’s masks.
- Make sure your mask is fastened securely around your nose and mouth, while still making sure you can breathe and talk comfortably.
- Don’t wear your mask under your chin, this will leave your nose and mouth fully exposed.
- To prevent your glasses from getting fogged up, place a facial tissue inside your mask to absorb some of your warm breath.
- Don’t remove your mask while in public settings.
- Don’t share your mask with friends or family members.
- Don’t hang your mask from one ear.
How to Safely Remove Your Face Mask
Similar to when putting on your face mask, there can be multiple different ways to remove your mask depending on the type of mask that you’re wearing:
- Disposable Masks: Wash hands, grab the ear loops, and lift outside corners together. Throw away after its worn once.
- N95 Respirators: Wash hands and remove mask. Check manufacturer’s instructions, although many of these can be worn up to 5-times if kept in a clean paper bag. If the mask is wet or dirty, however, throw this mask away and replace with a clean dry mask.
- Cloth Masks: Wash hands and remove mask. Cloth masks should be washed at least once a day or as soon as they become wet or dirty. You can either wash or dry your cloth mask by washer & dryer or by hand.
After removing your mask, be sure to thoroughly wash your hands.
Pacific Medical Products
Masking up is one of the best ways to prevent spreading COVID-19. Whether you’re looking for face masks, O2 Nose Filters, or other protective equipment, you can find all the PPE you need at Pacific Medical Products. We understand there’s a lot of concern about fake 3M masks, which is why we purchase all our 3M masks directly from two of the world’s largest 3M distributors, Medline and McKesson, who by contract only buy direct from 3M. Every mask is 100% authentic with lot numbers that can be tracked back to the manufacturer. Quality and trust are of utmost importance to us here at Pacific Medical Products. You can buy with confidence.